Apple has released the OS X Lion 10.7.4 update which includes a list of bug fixes and compatibility changes. Safari has also been updated to 5.1.6 (although Apple subsequently released, the same day, Safari 5.1.7.) A few of the changes:
- Resolves issue with “Reopen windows when logging back in”
- Fixes permission issues that may be caused if you use the Get Info inspector function
- Improve Internet sharing of PPPoE connections.
- Fixes an issue saving to an SMB server.
- Addresses printing to an SMB print queue.
- Better performance connecting to a WebDAV server.
- RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras.
- Reliability of binding and logging into Active Directory accounts.
Verizon is moving all business domain name email to Google. It seems the only choice is to sign an agreement, have service cut off, or switch to another email provider. Read the FAQ. They transfer your inbox. Passwords are lost, aliases are lost. Configurations are lost. You set up your computers and mobile devices all over again. An alternative: MacLab provides business class email with Kerio Connect.
Notice shown on Verizon webmail
The Flashback malware, according to Dr Web, infected up to 600,000 Macs around the world. The malware installs malicious java code that puts your system at risk for application crashes, user name and password stealing and even search engine poisoning. Frequently Flashback comes in the form of an installer for Flash Player.
Apple has released a java update for Mac OS 10.6 (10.68 required) and a java update for Mac OS 10.7. Download and install these or have us install them on our next maintenance visit. You should also be able to update using the Software Update Preference if you have 10.68 or higher.
The Apple’s 27 inch display is nice if you’re okay with the glossy screen and one thousand dollars is within budget. If not, check out the NEC Multisync 22 inch P221W-BK at about $450. It’s less than half the price and designed for graphics and photography use. It may not be as beautiful on your desk but the P221W does the job. The next size up is the 24 inch P241W for around $750. I tried the 22 inch P221 attached to my MacBook Pro and the display is nice. Both the P221 and P241 have an optional colorimeter for calibration. There are certainly higher quality displays out there (see us for recommendations) but these are good choices for the budget conscious. MacLab is an NEC reseller.
We’re giving out three copies of Text Cleaner 3.5 this month, the tool for graphic design and editing pros.
Here’s how it works.
- Visit MacLab on Facebook, and give us a “Like.” If you’ve already done that, you’re half way there.
- Go to the Contact page and let us know you did the Facebook thing and you’re entering the Spring Cleaning giveaway. Include your full name, address and email address.
We’ll select three winners at random. Winners will be notified by email. You won’t be put on any mailing lists unless you win Text Cleaner. In that case you will be on the registered users list.
The “Mac OS X Supplemental Update” has been released to address problems restoring from Time Machine. This update is recommended for anyone backing up with Time Machine under Mac OS X 10.73.